By Thomas Galassi
On Tuesday November 15th, BBI held the Elimination Round of its annual business plan competition. Seventeen remaining teams presented their seven minute pitches and were then questioned by the judges for two additional minutes. Judges selected which teams would advance to the final round of the Pitch Day Competition on December 13th. This year’s finalists represent all three institutions of the Tri-Institution and are listed below, with the inventing institution’s licensing office or individual in parentheses:
- Sensogen – Pulse-oximetry technologies (Sloan Kettering)
- PARP Wash – Revolutionizing Oral Cancer DetectionTM (Sloan Kettering)
- New Lymph node imaging in breast cancer surgery with light emitting nanoparticles (Sloan Kettering)
- RU4 Therapeutics – Jq1 as a novel therapy for treating epileptic seizures (Rockefeller)
- Toxidem – Making in vitro toxicology faster, less expensive, & more accurate (Weill Cornell)
- OneThree Biotech – A better approach to drug target convolution (Weill Cornell)
- iDu Optics – LabCam microscope adapter (Du Cheng, MD, PhD student)
Teams will revise their pitches based off feedback from mentor judges and BBI TAs in preparation for December 13th. Two teams that will certainly have an advantage going into the final competition are the winners of this year’s Yaniv Sneor, and Kevin FitzGerald Consultation prizes. The winners of these prizes that will be competing in the final round of pitches are:
- iDu Optics – Kevin FitzGerald Prize. This prize includes a complementary 90 minute consulting session with Kevin FitzGerald, founder of the startup and leadership coaching firm KevinBizGlobal ($500 value).
- OneThreeBiotech – Yaniv Sneor Prize. This prize includes a complementary two hour consulting session with Yaniv Sneor, co-founder of Mid-Atlantic Bio Angels, 1st Pitch Life Sciences, and Blue Cactus Consulting ($500 value).
The remainder of this year’s prizes will be announced after the final round of pitches on December 13th. In previous competitions the winner of the Pitch Day competition showed major improvements in their pitches between the Elimination and Final Rounds, so we expect this year’s contest to be wide open, and wish all of the competing teams the best of luck moving forward.
To get free tickets to the December 13th Pitch Day Competition click here.
We would like to give a special thanks to all of our gracious mentors for their time.
INTERESTED IN BEING A CONTRIBUTING WRITER? PLEASE EMAIL OFFICIALBLOGBBI@GMAIL.COM
INTERESTED IN COMPETING WITH YOUR TECHNOLOGY IN THE BENCH TO BEDSIDE INITIATIVE FALL CLASS? PLEASE EMAIL BENCHTOBEDSIDEINITIATIVE@GMAIL.COM